Message from the Principal
In these final weeks before the holiday break, all classrooms are participating in a special “Rheem Cares” project. Hopefully, you’ve already heard details about Kindergarten through 3rd graders providing holiday cheer to the children and mothers at the Women’s Drop-In Center in Berkeley, 4th graders collecting spare change to benefit the Heifer Project, and 5th graders supporting the Make-a-Wish Foundation. All families are encouraged to get involved as a way of helping our students practice the important Lifeskills of Caring and Friendship with a special focus on Giving.
And, speaking of gift-giving…are grandparents, aunts, and uncles nagging you for the perfect holiday gift? This holiday season consider the gift of a donation to MEF in your child’s honor. Remember, the gift of education lasts a lifetime! Direct them to www.moragaeducation.org.
Thank you for your generosity, support, and caring!
This Week at Rheem:
Monday, December 5:
- First Day of Winter Hot Lunch Session!
- PTA Executive Board Meeting, 9:30 in Room 25
- 4th grade Walk-Through California Programs
- Culleton in a.m.; Drury in p.m.
- Parent Ed Night: Sensory Processing (7:00 p.m. in JM Library)
Tuesday, December 6:
- Vision Screening for all 2nd grade and K students not previously screened
- School Site Council Meeting, beginning at 3:15 in Room 25
- Parent Ed Night: Parenting in the Digital Age (7:00 p.m. in JM Auditorium)
Wednesday, December 7:
- 1st grade Field Trip Trip to Lawrence Hall of Science (9:00 – 1:30)
Thursday, December 8:
- 4th/5th grade Winter Music Concert in MU Room (2:00 – 3:00 p.m.)
Friday, December 9:
- 2nd grade Field Trip to Contra Costa County Food Bank (8:30 – 12:15)
Note: All 2nd graders are Early Birds
Parent Education Opportunities This Week
This week, MSD offers (not one), but TWO informative Parent Ed Nights:
- On Monday, December 5, join Occupational Therapist, Janet Alexander, to learn more about “Sensory Regulation Strategies,” beginning at 7:00 p.m. in the JM Library. Click HERE for the flyer detailing additional “Evening with the Experts” presentations during this school year.
- On Tuesday, December 6, join MSD Director of Technology, Adrienne DeWolfe, for “Parenting in the Digital Age” beginning at 7:00 p.m. in the JM Auditorium. If devices are on your children’s holiday gift list, you won’t want to miss this opportunity to learn tips on managing screen time and responsible use! Please see the flyer for more information.
School News and Highlights:
- Did you know that December 5 – 9th is Computer Science Education Week? In honor of this special week, Rheem students will be participating in the Hour of Code, joining tens of millions of students globally to learn more about computer programming. K-3 will participate in a fun classroom breakout challenge where they solve programming puzzles to unlock secret boxes. 4th and 5th grade students will continue working on Learn to Code, a self-paced curriculum I developed based on Harvard’s Creative Computing Guide. Want more information or to continue learning at home? Visit code.org for a myriad of fun and engaging activities for your child. Happy coding!
- We will be making another BOX TOPS collection before the Winter Break. Please turn in all neatly-trimmed Box Tops to the classrooms by Wednesday, December 14. The classes that bring in the most Box Tops will be awarded the Roadrunner Mascots at the January Spirit Assemblies.
- Many thanks to the Moraga Kiwanis Club for recently improving our school campus by adding two new painted features to our front blacktop: a large-scale USA map and a “Peace Path” that outlines the steps for successful conflict resolution. This project was headed-up by Club President, Sam Sperry (grandfather to four Rheem students: 5th grader, Max, 2nd grader Ellis, and K cousins, Ford and Meg) and involved several club members, including our very own superintendent, Bruce Burns.
Communication is Key!
Rheem Elementary is a very special place that takes advantage of a “team” approach—teachers, students, and parents all joining together to promote a dynamic learning environment in which all students can thrive.
Make sure you are receiving all important communications from Rheem School. Here are the Big Three:
- Rheemarks: "Frank"ly Speaking – This weekly email (look for it on Sundays) is sent through Rheem's School Messenger System from Principal Frank. Family email addresses are pulled from our data base (the info provided at registration) to make sure that ALL families receive this newsletter. This newsletter focuses on current school events and issues. Click HERE to view the most recent edition as well as to access Rheemarks archives.
- PTA E-News – Rheem’s weekly PTA Newsletter is sent out on Wednesdays and limited to important information and updates about PTA programs, activities, opportunities, and more! Once you sign up for PTA, you’ll start receiving these informative newsletters.
- REMIND text messages -- It’s easy! It’s quick! It’s informative! Last year, we began using a new system called REMIND to send quick “texts” to parents who sign-up for this service. The one-way text messages come directly from the front office and are limited to brief, timely “Rheeminders.” This is the best way to not miss an important due date or forget a minimum day! To receive messages via text, simply text @rheem to 81010 or click HERE to download instructions.
In addition, all classroom teachers have email distribution lists to inform parents of specific classroom events. Being aware of programs, schedules, due dates, etc. is key to a successful (and less stressed!) school year for you and your child.
Shop and earn for Rheem
Rheem Amazon Plugin
The Rheem Amazon extension for Chrome automatically adds the Rheem affiliate code to any Amazon links you find on the web. It will also add the code if you go directly to Amazon.
What this means is that Rheem will receive between 4% & 15% of the value of your order each and every time you buy something from Amazon. The percentage varies depending on what you buy.
So install the plugin and earn cash for Rheem while you shop!
Click here to access the Rheem Google Facilities Calendar (for RH staff only)